Paula Nye Memorial Education Grant
The Paula Nye Memorial Bicyclist and Pedestrian Education Grant was established in honor of Paula Nye, Kentucky’s Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordinator from 2000-2005.
This grant program is funded solely by citizen contributions made by purchasing Kentucky’s “Share the Road” specialty license plate. To date the Paula Nye Memorial Education Grant has provided over $390,000 toward bicycle and pedestrian education programs.
The Paula Nye Memorial Education Grants are intended to inform and educate the citizens of the Commonwealth of Kentucky to:
• Matters pertaining to bicycle and pedestrian safety through the development of curriculum, training aids, and/or educational programs or projects directly related to bicycle and pedestrian safety.
• The health, recreational, economic, social, cultural and other benefits arising from bicycling and walking.
• To promote other bicycling and pedestrian related non-profit, educational and purposes as deemed appropriate by the Commission.
Examples of Fundable Projects
Education materials including but not necessarily limited to:
• Safety informational brochures
• Videotapes and DVD’s
• Limited staff salaries
• Public awareness campaigns
• Traffic education and enforcement in a specific target area
• Costs incurred to provide safety training, commuting or ride leader certification classes and facilitator fees for adult and/or child bicycle, pedestrian and motor vehicle safety training classes.